Department: Assessor Pay Grade: 5
FLSA Designation: Hourly Effective Date: March 15, 2019
Basic Job Description
The Property Appraiser performs duties related to the appraisal of all types of properties located within Adams County for tax assessment purposes. This position also assists in other office functions and performs related work as required.
The principal function of this employee is to conduct technical appraisals of various properties as assigned. Properties may include improved and unimproved rural, farm, timber, residential, commercial, industrial, transient and personal property, depending on assignment or specialization. The work requires field inspection of properties, which may result in stressful personal contacts and situations. The Property Appraiser must demonstrate tact and diplomacy in such situations. The employee shall provide effective customer service, records documentation, and thorough research. The nature of the work requires the employee to be detail oriented with time management skills and confidence in decision making. The Property Appraiser must possess strong clerical and customer service skills, and the ability to acquire knowledge of department functions through on the job training as well as receive Idaho State Tax Commission Certified Tax Appraiser certification after completion of necessary requirements. The work is performed under the supervision of the Adams County Assessor or designee. The principal duties of this position are performed in a general office environment or outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities may vary by assignment;
▪ Complete field inspections of properties, taking accurate notes and photographs to assist in the completion of a property appraisal;
▪ Demonstrates accuracy and attention to detail with the ability to identify errors through editing of work before and after completion;
▪ Address questions posed by property owners, other appraisers, other employees and state and local government;
▪ Ability to efficiently use multiple computer programs to assist in record keeping, appraisal, and valuation;
▪ Use educated and consistent judgement to appropriately value properties;
▪ Clear and organized record keeping;
▪ Ability to complete thorough research if needed;
▪ Understanding of tax assessment procedures with ability to complete assignments in a timely manner in accordance to deadlines;
▪ Capability of understanding and interpreting directions and using aerial photography for property location and appraisal assistance;
▪ Assists other appraisers, surveyors and the public at large with property inquiries and requests in a professional and timely manner;
▪ Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with Adams County policies, procedures and safety practices.
▪ Assists the Assessor and other office personnel with various administrative tasks, such as application processes, proofing of data entry, and records management;
▪ Remains current on required certifications by attending courses, workshops and training seminars;
Other Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities shall be performed as needed;
▪ Assists in the titling, registrations, and clerical duties of the Department of Motor Vehicles;
▪ Completes complex or difficult transactions and inquiries for customers;
▪ Handles cash from customer transactions;
▪ Receive on the job training to assist data entry, mapping, deed processing and other duties of Adams County Assessor;
▪ Remains current on any required certification by attending courses, workshops and training seminars;
Requirements and Qualifications
▪ High school diploma or GED equivalency is required;
▪ Two (2) years office experience and proficiency with computers and various computer programs is preferred, however any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work;
▪ Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, such as, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and any other standard office programs as part of operation of a personal computer, as well as the ability to operate other standard office equipment;
▪ The ideal employee will be a team player with good customer service skills, the ability and willingness to learn and adapt to new ideas and procedures and be organized with attention to detail;
▪ Complete Idaho State Tax Commission Certified Tax Appraisal courses to receive certification as soon as possible after hire;
▪ Sufficient abilities to interpret speech, visually inspect, perform repetitive motions, and demonstrate personal mobility, to be able to perform field inspections with or without reasonable accommodation.
Copyright 2019 Idaho Association of Assessment Personnel.
All Rights Reserved.
Do you have a job opening at your office? This is the place to advertise. Email the job description to email@example.com (or use the contact form if no attachments are being used) with all the necessary information, and we will post it here.
Welcome to the Idaho Association of Assessment Personnel!!!
Celebrating 30 Years of Excellence 1989 - 2019